Watermelon: The Miracle Fruit
Is there anything that says summertime more than a watermelon? It’s truly an artifact of our cultural celebration of warm weather and good times. Well, there’s more than meets the eye and it’s all very, very good. Turns out watermelon are one of the most beneficial foods we can eat. As seniors concerned with diet and health, watermelon may literally be a miracle food.
Based upon recent research studies, here are some of the wonderful benefits of watermelon:
– It’s loaded with very powerful antioxidants, mostly from beta-carotene, which supplies vitamins C and A.
– It’s nature’s best source of lycopene (better than tomatoes) and many studies indicate it may help reduce the risk of cancer and many other diseases.
– The polysaccharide carbohydrates contained in watermelon increase the body’s levels of serotonin. Eating watermelon before bedtime makes the brain less sensitive to disruptive stimuli during sleep. This can improve sleep up to 27%.
– Research has shown that the lycopene in watermelon cuts the risk of sun-related skin damage by 40%. It appears the lycopene destroys the UV-induced free radicals that cause sunburn and wrinkling.
– One medical journal recently reported the results of a study finding men who eat watermelon and drink green tea on a regular basis are 82% less likely to have prostate cancer.
– Watermelon can give you as much as a 23% boost in energy. It can do this because it contains B6, B1, magnesium, and potassium. The B6 helps the body feel good by synthesizing dopamine.
– Eating watermelon can also help to heal wounds and other skin problems. It contains high amounts of the acid citrulline, which the body converts to arginine. Arginine helps speed the delivery of white blood cells to the specific sites where it is needed.
– Because watermelon contains arginine, it boosts nitric oxide levels, which can produce a Viagra-like effect. The nitric oxide can also be helpful for treating angina, high blood pressure and other related cardiovascular problems.
If these studies are correct, watermelon is truly a miracle fruit. All this from something that is 92% water and only has 48 calories per cup. Bon appetite!